Thursday, January 6, 2011

I Am The Messiest Cook I Know

Last night, I made spaghetti for dinner.  In selecting the vegetables that were going in the sauce, I found the sweet potato in the drawer that we didn't cook with Christmas dinner.  So, being the
Brilliant 
woman that I am.... I decided to make soup from the remaining vegetables that were hiding in the crisper, wanting desperately to be used before being thrown out....
Of course, at the same time I was browning my beef, starting the sauce for the spaghetti....

My poor husband, who doesn't often eat pasta by choice arrives home to competing 'aroma's' from the kitchen and wonders if he should have grabbed take out on his way home. 
I can see the fear in his eyes as he tries to politely ask whats for dinner... So far the only thing RIGHT in the kitchen is the beef that is browning for my meat sauce.  Now, we normally compromise when I make spaghetti, if I grate cheese for the topping, he eats the sauce without complaint as a topping for buttered bread.
OOPS, Sorry Honey!  I didn't take the bread out of the freezer.... "Do you want toast? Do you want me to run to the store quick?"
Sweet man, he says no....

I puree my veggies for the soup, have it simmering nicely and the sauce for my spaghetti is simmering also. I'm somewhat grateful that I am suffering a stuffy nose as I am sure that the competing smells were not all that pleasing.  Boiled up the pasta and we finally sat down to dinner. It seems that quick spaghetti sauce took FOREVER to cook?!?!?!?
Hubby goes to get his plate. Asks where the noodles are... I've only made enough for the kids and I, purely out of habit... In more than 15 years, I can't honestly remember ever seeing him eat spaghetti sauce WITH noodles.  So I just didn't make him any....

By the end of the evening, I had no energy left and could not force myself to do the dishes.  I finally flopped in bed and vowed to deal with them in the morning.

How in the world did my kitchen get buried?  
It was so full this morning, I could barely find the counter or stove top. 
Factor in a one pot soup adventure, one pot for the spaghetti sauce, and a frying pan for the meat.....
My poor starving man who didn't eat with us, so no dishes from him....

Where did the dishes all come from?  There were no spoons in the drawer!  Spoons?  I have roughly 35 spoons in that drawer! And we ate spaghetti....not the soup.... 
Glasses?  Coffee Mugs?  I think my dishes smelled my cooking and tried to commit suicide by jumping out of the cupboards....
A full, and I mean seriously packed, load through the dishwasher, and still about 45 minutes spent washing dishes.... and I finally had a counter.  Albeit a filthy counter.  I scrubbed the counter top while my coffee was brewing...wiped off the top of the dishwasher. 
And the front
And the sides??  Oh, man...

Stove top next. yuck.
It's a good thing I get distracted easily or I wouldn't have noticed the pretty speckled pattern on the wall from the red spaghetti sauce and the orange soup splatter on the wall beside the stove...

If I take longer cleaning up my kitchen
than I do actually cooking the food...... 
I have a problem, don't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment