Thursday, September 8, 2011

Motivation - I Don't Feel Like Finding It

Some days are hard to get started. Days like today where I woke up 15 minutes later than normal with a headache.  These are the days when I don't walk the kids into the school, I just drop them off and watch them go in.  The days where I stay as close to PJ's as I can, for as long as I can.

These are also the days where I have a 10 mile long to-do list.

I've got to prioritize my day. I need to get a grip on what really has to be done and what can wait. But I don't even feel like looking at the full list. Jump online to check emails and delay myself even more by reading articles that I wouldn't normally, check things like Facebook or Twitter, read my work emails, personal emails, catch up to comments on the blogs.  A ten minute job that can drag out for an hour.

Sometimes I get a kick start. The phone rings and something new to take care of takes precedence over everything else. But then once that is finished I am back to square one. I have too many things I should be doing but none that I want to do.

Thankfully, days like this are getting farther apart. Beating down depression means pushing myself through these times. Just picking one thing at a time, even if it is not the highest priority of the day means that I can still find my sense of accomplishment.  Beating down the guilt that plagues me from not focusing properly will be there tomorrow. 

This day, this long slow day, can be exactly what leads to a downward spiral again. I will not let that happen. This time, I have forced my way through a few things that were important, and snuck in a few things that could wait if I wanted. I've left the dishes sitting, but I started the laundry. I've glanced at my work tasks and determined some top priorities.

The important thing here is that even though I don't want to do anything, I don't feel like starting, I have started. I have moved. I have got a few things done. This is not one of those days where I have chosen to hyperfocus on some meaningless task to avoid what really needs to be done. I have stuck to that actual list (that isn't written yet) and done what should be done today.  The things that can wait have already been waiting. I'm still recovering from laundry that collected while camping last weekend and it's Thursday.

I'm going to spend the next half hour, until Macboy gets home for lunch, taking 5. No, not just relaxing, but I'm going to take 5 minutes to focus on each part of my day so that after lunch, I will have a better view of where I really am. 5 minutes isn't much, but it can mean a lot. 5 minutes will not strain my eyes or neck and will not worsen this headache I'm fighting. 

5 for work - plan my tasks
5 for Angel Baby - change clothes for the day, she's in PJ's too
5 for switching laundry
5 for planning home tasks
5 for getting lunch going for Macboy

And most importantly,
5 for a cup of coffee to savour the last half hour of getting something done.

How do you get yourself motivated on days like this?  What is one thing that you can do anytime to kickstart your day?

Take 5.  Take care.

1 comment:

  1. I can get lost in my own head some days, where I feel like I am in a haze and everything is just happening around me. Those are the days I tend to lack any motivation. To combat it, I just try to get out of my own head: first step, getting off the computer (always easier said than done), then I'll turn on the radio and dance around with my kids. They probably think I am crazy, but the activity gets me moving and the interaction with my children makes me feel like I am human again. It doesn't always work, but I give it a try every time.

    ReplyDelete